This spring, however, the blazer felt a little too snug. Might have been the pullover I wore under it, or maybe it shrunk (ladies do not gain weight so it can’t be that), who knows, but still it felt uncomfortable.
I made both skirts from upcycled fabric. I used satin duvet covers I found from flea markets. The fabric I got was fresh, undamaged, and plentiful. One can salvage up to four meters of 150 cm wide fabric from a single satin duvet cover, and that’s a lot.
Both skirts have two layers, which have ribbon channels than can be used to adjust the hem. I like the shape draped hems create, and enjoy the option to hitch the skirts up differently each time I wear them.
The process of making a skirt like this is relatively easy. Drafting a pattern is the trying part. I’ve made a drafting tutorial in order to help with the process. It’s available for 2,25€, and also offers a fully illustrated tutorial on sewing this lovely tiered skirt.
I had steel boning and black, stretchy satin stashed, along with a tube-ful of large buttons.
Asymmetric buttoning is a bit of a pain to create: one needs to measure and re-measure carefully, but I managed to get the loops done with just two takes.
Starting the remake process, I thought I’d give the corset black bone channels. Rummaging through my stash, I ran into the remains of the purple lining, and thought what the hey, might as well give the thing a bit of colour.