My favorite shoes broke in the spring. They were very, very old, and I loved them. I’ve been on the look-out for a replacement pair ever since. Finding a pair of shoes that scream nineties is surprisingly difficult, I tells you! Finally, I found a semi-acceptable pair on H&M.Nothing spells quality shoes like H&M, so I was pretty happy to see them on sale for only 18€. I ordered them, got them, and said “ain’t it a good thing I’m a professional, and can give this pair a shoe make-over”. Here’s where we started from!
Originally, I planned to use lace for the shoes. Later, I changed my mind, but that’s the reason why there’s lace in the photo.
I started by using my scissors to cut the leg of the shoes. That was pretty easy since they were made of fabric, and the actual shoe part was stitched to the fabric bit. The picture shows it better than I can explain it!
This wasn’t the first time I did a similar shoe make-over. That’s probably the reason why I went ahead and ordered a pair of shoes just to cut into them… The first pair I modded was so good I wore them until they fell apart on me. Literally, I was walking along, and they started to disintegrate. Luckily, I was quite close to home, and made it there without injury.
Anyway, after cutting the shoes to shape, I took black bias tape, and hand stitched it to place. That does sound like a lot of work, but sewing keeps the binding in place better than gluing, leaves a tidy finish, and can be replaced if need be.
The finished shoes are very, very basic and super plain. They’re also very high, and I feel that decorating them would make them appear a bit too much. In their current basic form, they fit all outfits, and won’t clash with styles.
I hope you’ve enjoyed today’s shoe make-over. I promise to show how these look on me in Friday’s post!