A while back, I went to the flea market, and came home with a pretty good haul. Among the garments I got, was a velvet print top, and a basic jersey skirt with two layers. Neither of these two fit my personal style as they were, so I morphed them together to create a new dress. I started by chopping the top to length, and taking it in at the sides. Then, I took what was left of the hem, and used it to sew ruffle cuffs.
The original skirt had a seam at the hip. I cut the skirt there to get rid of both the seam, and its elastic waist. It was too long to begin with, and a seam at the widest part of my hip looked just wrong.
After the quick surgery, I gathered the hem, and attached it to the top’s hem. Ruching two layers of slippery jersey, and pinning them to another layer of slippery jersey was not easy! Luckily, this was the hardest step of the entire process.
Turning the top and skirt into a new dress took literally an hour, and I could not be happier with the results. The dress is super-comfy, super-cute, and looks like ME. I’ve already worn it out, and it proved to be the sort of dress I could just forget. It required no adjusting and no tugging, and behaved beautifully all night.
For the finished look, I wore the dress with minimal accessories. I hid the waist seam with my chiffon sash, and went for very basic heels. As this dress has a wide, rather voluminous hem which I want to emphasize with petticoats, I wore my hair in a bun. Leaving it loose adds a lot to my width, and paired with wide skirts, that’s not a good look. A messy bun works much better with this look, and is also much more comfortable.
I hope you’ve enjoyed reading about my new dress!