Modding a Green Coat

A long time ago, I made a coat with green wool fabric. I used a Burda pattern for the first time, and found it a really nice fit. The finished coat was a bit green for my taste. After I found it neglected in my closet, I decided to add a bit of black to it. 

Deciding how to start the embellished coat took some time. I pondered between lace, ribbons, and applique, I wanted the details to be thick and to really stand out. After rummaging around in my stash, I found black yarn left over from my black Elise shawl. The shawl is thick and warm, a perfect winter accessory, and I wanted to bring some of its warmth to my green coat.

I also found a really big crochet flower, which pretty much determined what I wanted to do with the yarn.

I took the flower, and sewed it onto the coat’s right pocket. Then, I took the yarn and crocheted smaller flowers into a string of chain stitches.

I ended up with a yard and a half of flowers…

I arranged the chain of flowers onto the coat, deciding to do the decorations on one side only. I then sewed them on by hand.

Had I known it would take forever, I might have chosen a different approach!

The result is lovely, though, and I’m happy with my choice. The flowers take away some of the coat’s greenness, and since the details are quite thick, they give the coat a bit of play with light and shadow.

The coat’s sleeves were a bit on the short side. I have long arms, and patterns often let me down in sleeve length. To give the sleeves a bit more length, I added a filet crochet cuff inside them. Though it’s not that long, it gives the coat more warmth, and serves as a pretty eye-catcher. Worn with long gloves, the coat is now nice to wear before the coldest winter days and as they start to pass.

Though I like the coat now with the black embellishments, I might add a bit more to it. The left sleeve is still quite green, and I’m thinking another string of flowers would look nice around it. The front hem of the coat might like some singular flowers, and maybe there could be a little detail on the neck…

Some projects are difficult to finish only because working on them is so much fun, and this coat is one of them.

I hope you’ve enjoyed reading about my Green Coat Mod!

Until next time.

Love,

Heather

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *