Lune

Lune is a knitting pattern for a striped, crescent scarf. It’s worked in garter stitch, and has a narrow crochet border. Lune is unisex, and entirely beginner-friendly. Lune can be modded in size to work as a scarf or a shawl.

Lune is a knitting pattern for a crescent shawl

I didn’t really plan for Lune to happen. After working on The Lovelace Gloves, I wanted to knit something very simple on large needles. In a way, Lune was a comfort-knit. As rewarding it is to create something very intricate, a fast-paced project that requires very little concentration is just and only pure fun.

For me, Lune was fun to knit. The feel of the yarns was nice and fluffy, large needles made the project come together in very little time, and not having to purl or read a chart was relaxing for a change.

Lune was born on a whim. I went through my stash, and found two balls of mystery yarn in black and green. The color-combo brought Loki to my mind. I immediately knew I wanted to use the yarns on scarf, as long as possible, and easy to mix and match.

The shape of the scarf was also quickly decided. I wanted to find the easiest possible way to create a crescent scarf in order to make the pattern as beginner-friendly as possible.

I set to work, and decided Lune needed a little something-something to make it special.

Garter stitch stays flat without ribbed edges. It’s ideal for scarfs and shawls: it looks nice, has a lot of elasticity, and stays put on its own. I chose to finish Lune with a narrow crochet edge not for practical reasons, but to give it a unique look.

Working on Lune was an absolute pleasure. I enjoyed every moment of it so much I’m actually thinking about casting on another one in black and purple.

I hope you’ll love The Lune Knitting Pattern, too!

Until next time.

Love,

Heather

PS. If you haven’t already, be sure to join our mailing list. I’ll be featuring one product each week, and offering a special discount on it for all VIPs!

Share

BaktusMod, aka The Scarf That Almost Wasn’t

Once upon a time, I found two balls of Rose Mohair in lioness yellow from a flea market. Naturally, I shrieked, and bought the yarn. Rose Mohair is my favourite, and sadly, it has been discontinued. I’ve taken the habit of buying it every time I see it.
The yarn wanted to be a shawl. I said OK. It didn’t want to be lace, and it wanted to be used entirely. I said OK, that’s a taller order.
After an hour of contemplation. I decided to give Strikkelise’s Baktus a go.
Baktus is designed to be a narrow scarf. As I wanted a shawl, I modded the original pattern quite a bit. I did increases on every second row instead of every fourth, and knit the whole thing in seed stitch.
Everything was going fine, until…
I dug into my second ball of yarn, and realized the two were from different dye lots.
NOOOOOOOO, I cried, and sent the shawl to the “shame on you”-basket.
The next day, I decided to salvage it by adding black stripes.
 I frogged half of what I’d knit, and knit the shawl again with stripes. I had a ball of Rose stashed, and it worked well enough with its discontinued sister.
 After blocking, I crocheted around the shawl with both yarns. The border came out nice, and added a finished touch to the simple shawl.
 Seed stitch made this elastic, so I can wrap into it anyway I like. The stripes remind me of stinging insects, so I call this my Wasp Shawl.
 The finished product is a delight to wear: the yellow has the perfect tone, and the black stripes make it a little less… well, yellow.
 It’s big enough to be really warm, and light enough to work as a scarf.
 The stripes hide the colour difference in yellow perfectly, and I’m really happy about the way the shawl turned out.
 Luckily the summer has been really cold, so I can still wear this warm thing. And since the Baktus sorta crept under my skin, I started another one, true to the pattern this time.
Until next Wednesday.
Love,
Heather
Share