Let’s Make… Add backlacing to a blazer

Once upon a time, I had a corduroy blazer. I found it at a flea market many years ago, and figured it would fall apart a month later. H&M had made the blazer with quality, though, and I’ve worn it with joy.
This spring, however, the blazer felt a little too snug. Might have been the pullover I wore under it, or maybe it shrunk (ladies do not gain weight so it can’t be that), who knows, but still it felt uncomfortable.
I wasn’t ready to let go of it, so I gave it a makeover.
To make the blazer a bit more roomy, I opened the center back seam. The collar I left untouched. There was a slit on the hem of the original blazer, so the edges were uneven. I straightened them by just cutting off excess fabric.
I tucked in raw edges of fabric, and top-stitched both sides. The corduroy was light, and starting to show signs of wear, so I didn’t want to strain the fabric with eyelets.
I still wanted the back to have a lazing, so I could alter the size when I’m wearing more beneath. Cheap satin ribbon is perfect for this purpose: though it can’t handle washing, it looks nice, and holds well when tied.
I decided to go with buttonholes.
I marked their places on both sides of the back, and made them as small as possible.
After, I could just lace the parts together. The detail looks pretty, and gives the blazer both room and versatility.
The blazer fits well now, and I’m really happy with the result.
 Though the change wasn’t too drastic, it still helped prolong the life of a garment.
The lines of the blazer are soft yet androgynous. I like to pair it with hems both long and short, and flowing scarfs to give it a more feminine feel.The laced back is also a feature on a freshly launched sewing pattern. I had found a little piece of patterned wool fabric from a flea market, and turned it into a snug-fitting blazer with a laced up back and low-cut collar. Check it out, and tell me what you think!
Until next Wednesday.

Victorian Skirts

My favourite skirts are big, long, and tiered. They’re versatile, adjustable, and can be made with upcycled materials. My love for the Victorian era inspired these hitched up skirts.
















I made both skirts from upcycled fabric. I used satin duvet covers I found from flea markets. The fabric I got was fresh, undamaged, and plentiful. One can salvage up to four meters of 150 cm wide fabric from a single satin duvet cover, and that’s a lot.

Both skirts have two layers, which have ribbon channels than can be used to adjust the hem. I like the shape draped hems create, and enjoy the option to hitch the skirts up differently each time I wear them.

The process of making a skirt like this is relatively easy. Drafting a pattern is the trying part. I’ve made a drafting tutorial in order to help with the process. It’s available for 2,25€, and also offers a fully illustrated tutorial on sewing this lovely tiered skirt.